A noise woke me from my slumber. I call it slumber, not sleep, because I had only been dozing off and on throughout the night anyway. We’d tried to go to bed early, tried to be good knowing the hectic days we both had ahead of us, but as is often the case: that knowing that we needed to be sleeping made it that much harder to actually sleep.
The noise had been a crashing sound. Something in the room or the adjacent bathroom being knocked over and tumbling down to the ground. A cascade of noises, really, with a solid thump to cap it off. The cats, I thought as the last strings of my tentative hold on sleep were severed completely.
I checked for pressure, weight, on my feet or next to my legs and found none there. That absence solidified the truth of the situation, the source of the noise. Definitely the cats. What are they doing up so early?
Maybe it’s not early?! Panic hit me like a ton of bricks. My chest heaved with the blow, my mind reeled, and my arms flailed towards my clock. Am I late? Did I sleep through my alarm?
I pulled the clock towards my face, so I could read the time without putting on my glasses. 4:38… My sleepy brain took a moment to do the math. I still have 22 minutes I can sleep.
I heaved myself back into a sleeping position, pulled the blankets back up under my chin and sighed heavily. And then I stayed there, awake, listening to the cats getting into trouble, until the alarm went off and I got up to start my (now even) long(er) day.
I was nominated by Blog it or Lose it for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award:
“Thank you, https://thematticuskingdom.wordpress.com/, for your encouragement and your brilliant writing, fellow NaNo!”
Until recently I had decided that I wasn’t going to accept awards anymore (due to the funny math behind them and the eventuality that they would take over the world – 15 x 15 x 15 x 15 x 15 x 15 = well, you get the idea. Unchecked, award nominations and responses would takeover the blogosphere.) However, then I met a dinosaur named Rarasaur and her thoughts on the subject helped to change my mind. So, I humbly accept this nomination (with a few modifications). My fondest wish is that I inspire people with my words as much as they inspire me with theirs.
There are 5 rules and the number of the rules is 5. Not 3, nor 4, nor 6… And they are as follows:
1.) Display the award logo on your blog.
– Done. See above… or below where my awards and other such nonsense are stored.
2.) Link back to the person who nominated you.
– Done. See Blog it or Lose it link above and check out their page: lots of wonderful stuff going on.
3.) State 7 things about yourself.
– I have blue eyes.
– I like blue shirts.
– I like blue ties.
– What do you mean those are all things someone can see from my Gravatar?
– I like that song about the blue house and the blue windows and the blue corvette, where everything is blue.
– I especially like the part about the blue corvette!
– I also like that Blue Monday song. That’s funny today is Monday!
4.) Nominate 15 bloggers for this award.
– http://kodiakmylittlegrizzly.com/2013/01/16/pachyderm/ was the first post I read about Kodi, and then I went on to read almost everything else. Such an amazing, troubling, touching story. To find out more you can go here.
– http://thefoodiefarmer.wordpress.com/about/ and I started out disagreeing on a subject, and that was okay. Now I gobble up everything on offer and you should too.
– http://purnimodo.wordpress.com/about/ inspires me to write better and to see the world through all sorts of sets of eyes. Ever felt like a dinosaur or just wondered about your place in the universe? Yeah, she covers those and everything in between.
– http://fortyoneteen.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/starting-over-an-intolerance-to-resolutions/ has a way with words and comedy. Careful, you might get hooked.
– http://winedrinkingmummy.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/26365-one-photo-per-day-challenge-lessons-plus-others-photo-challenge-love/ for words and pictures working in harmony. I’ve nominated Jo before and I’m sure I will again.
– http://hippiecahier.com/about/ isn’t really a hippie, and she’ll tell you so herself. She definitely does have a way about her though.
– http://qtheadult.wordpress.com/about/ has some wonderful things to say. You know what follows “P?” That’s right: Q
5.) Notify those bloggers of the nomination by linking to one of their specific posts so that they get notified by pingback.
What do you mean I didn’t nominate 15 bloggers? I may not be too good at this whole math thing but there are definitely 15 links up there under rule #4. I think that should suffice.
To the 7 (15) wonderful bloggers I’ve nominated. You have all inspired me through your words and pictures, through your interpretation of the world around us and through the way you present that in your little sections of our blogosphere. Don’t feel under any obligation to accept these awards if you don’t want to, but know that I think you are definitely deserving of it. You are Very Inspiring.
Look what I found this morning:
Isn’t that a lovely gift from dmauldin53?
I don’t normally accept nominations for these awards but they had such nice things to say about me and asked me very politely to accept it. I was powerless to refuse. You should take a minute to read this and that and pretty much everything else at the Mauldin Family blog. It’s a whole lot of awesome.
Versatile Blogger Rules (If you choose to obey them)
- Display the Award Certificate on your website
- Announce your win with a post and link to whoever presented your award
- Present 15 awards to deserving bloggers
- Drop them a comment to tip them off after you’ve linked them in the post
- Post 7 interesting things about yourself.
I was nominated for this:
The numpty novice with a compact camera and a laptop also known as merleytwister
While deeply honored to be nominated for the award I will once again not be following through with the acceptance procedures. There are reasons for that of course, having to do with the math of it all and the exponential rate of nominations taking over the world, but mentioning the nomination is a great way introduce my faithful readers to other blogs they may enjoy.
So, if you like pictures and words working together in an intimate dance, both taking turns leading and following, with dazzling spins, steps, twirls, lifts and throws, sometimes a waltz and sometimes a swing, then you should really stop reading my words right now and go check out what merleytwister has to offer:
The elegant, shimmering, moments captured in film, the words framing and shaping our view of the images that flash in front of our eyes, a spectacle, a miracle, an experience worth having and coming back to time after time.
Still here? Go! Go! Go!
I promise you won’t be disappointed.*
*thematticuskingdom can not be held responsible for enjoyment, or lack there of, experienced while visiting any of the sites linked to in this post, or any other post for that matter. we understand that there are all kinds of people out there and no two can be expected to behave in the same way. therefore any “promises” made really only apply to our own perceptions of what we are discussing/reviewing/suggesting/etc… this legalese will self destruct in 5 seconds. in other words, all our promises are belong to us. are you still reading this? shouldn’t you be ducking and covering or something?