He was the third child. The third of eight… there used to be a ninth but no one ever wanted to talk about that anymore. He was like his brothers and sisters in many ways, but he was unique in one very special way. There was a host of living organisms that had taken up residence on him while his siblings remained pest free.
His brothers and sisters nagged him, made fun of him, chided him on cleanliness and called him many names: dirty, different, abhorrent, weirdo, gross, freak.
He bore their verbal abuse without comment. There was nothing he could do about the living things growing ever more pervasive across his body. He had tried to kill them off early, it’s true, but they had proved very adaptable. Eventually he had given up and let them flourish.
Besides, he knew something his brothers and sisters didn’t know. His infection had gone through its incubation period and was getting ready to spread. He was contagious and his nearest brother would soon be overrun with the swarming organism too. Sure, “soon” is a relative word when planets measured millennium the way others might measure a day, but Earth knew it was only a matter of time until Mars was crawling with humans too.
Jokes on them. That will teach them for calling me a freak all these years.
Word Count: 227
My response to this week’s Trifecta Writing Challenge:FREAK (noun)
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If your post doesn’t meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.